Jump to Recipe Jump to Video
These Hawaiian Meatballs are a nice change from an Italian meatball. I love recipes with pineapple in them! I cook the meatballs in the oven, the sauce on the stove in my favorite non-stick pan, and the rice in my Instant Pot, so it all comes together pretty quickly. We have ours over white rice, but you can even make these as finger food for a party with toothpicks in them.
Here are some of the items I used for this recipe:
FOR THE RICE
- 2 cups White Rice
- 2 cups Water
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 an Onion
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 8 oz can of Crushed Pineapple
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 3 Tbsp Vinegar (rice vinegar is good, I used apple cider vinegar – its what I had on hand)
- 1-2 inch Chunk of fresh Ginger (grated)
- 12 oz can of Pineapple chunks (drained)
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Sesame Seeds for garnish (optional)
CORN STARCH SLURRY
- 2 Tbsp Corn starch
- 2 Tbsp Cold water
START THE RICE
- Prepare the white rice. I use an Instant Pot. Ratio 1:1 (1 cup water to 1 cup white rice). Pour into instant pot, put on the lid and the valve in sealing position and hit the rice button. If you don't have a rice button on yours, just hit manual pressure cook for 10 minutes.
PREPARE THE MEATBALLS
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, put the all the meatball ingredients together and mix with your hands until just combined. Don't over mix or it makes the meat tough.
- Put parchment paper on a large baking sheet and form your meatballs on the sheet. Put in oven for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
FOR THE SAUCE
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and bell pepper for a few minutes until the bell pepper is somewhat soft.
- Add in the soy sauce, vinegar, water, honey, crushed pineapple, grated ginger, and water. Whisk it and then let simmer for five minutes to allow it to reduce.
- In a separate bowl, make your corn starch slurry. Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Then slowly whisk it into the pan. Reduce heat to low or off as soon as it thickens. Should be a minute or so to thicken.
- Then add in the can of drained pineapple chunks.
- Once the meatballs are done, add them to the sauce.
- Serve over white rice. Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
**As an Amazon Affiliate, my channel may earn a small commission on whatever you buy, with no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!