This homemade Hamburger Helper is a hit with the kids. I can still make a yummy quick dinner without the processed hamburger helper that comes in a box! You can use any fun shaped pasta you have. I happened to have penne pasta this night. Elbow noodles work great though. I would have put a diced onion in here if it wasn’t for one of my picky eaters, so add all the veggies you want! It would definitely take this dish up a notch.
I cook these larger one pot meals in my Le Cresuet Enameled Cast-Iron Braiser. It’s a pricey pot, but I have used it so much and I love it, it was the best kitchen investment! You can cook just about everything in it and it’s oven safe too. I have the largest one which is a 5 qt and its a great size for meals for a family of five. They have smaller sizes as well though.
HOMEMADE HAMBURGER HELPER
- 1 box 16oz pasta (any kind)
- 1 lb Ground hamburger meat
- 1 small Onion
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp Parsley (optional for garnish)
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions
- In a large fry pan or saute pan, brown the hamburger meat along with the chopped onion until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for a few minutes or until fragrant.
- Whisk in the beef broth, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the shredded cheddar cheese and mix.
- Add the drained pasta to your pan and mix well. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
**As an Amazon Affiliate, my blog may earn a small commission on whatever you buy, with no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!